Earlier, with a SQL Azure subscription, we were allowed to provision a single server only. But now with May 2011 SQL Azure release, we now have the facility to have multiple servers under a single subscription.
couple of months back, i had this need to check SQL Azure performance for data that i stored in different data centers. But back then, i was allowed to provision a single server with a subscription. So i had got myself multiple subscription so that i could create SQL Azure servers in different data centers. But fortunately now I will not have to manage multiple subscription just to provision databases in different data centers.
Now Let's see how we can go about creating new servers under a single subscription from the New Azure management portal.
1. Go to new Azure management portal's database section
2. From there select a subscription: (here i have selected a subscription named 'parassqlazure'.)
3. Now on the top pane. click on 'create new server'.
4. Now you will be asked to select the data center.
5. After selecting the data center, you will be asked to create the administrator login and set password:
6. After that you will asked to configure the Firewall rules
7. After configuring the firewall settings. click on Finish!
As you can see - i have provisioned five SQL Azure servers under my single subscription!
8. Alternatively you can add new servers from here too:
Go to database section -> select 'subscription' from the left pane -> now, from the central pane, select 'create new server' -> select subscription -> press next to select the data center.
After you select your subscription - you will have similar options as depicted in step 4-6 previously.
read What’s new in SQL Azure: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff602419.aspx
i got to know about this update from a MSDN SQL Azure Forum thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ssdsgetstarted/thread/8ae3344a-1843-4915-98c8-907e289062f9