Ever been in the situation where you’re so fixated on debugging an error that you fail to see the solution which has been staring you in the face the whole time? Me too.
The other day I was trying to import data from an Excel spreadsheet into a SQL Server table using OPENROWSET (something I’ve done numerous times before) but I just couldn’t get it to work on our development server (I could get it to work on my development machine though). My code was quite simple:
INSERT INTO Cruise.Pricing
SELECT CruiseCode, Rate, Fare
HDR=YES;IMEX=1','SELECT CruiseCode, Rate, Fare FROM [sheet1$]');
Yet SQL Server kept throwing the following error:
OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "(null)" returned message "Unspecified error".
Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "(null)".
Now I really do love developing with Microsoft products but what the heck does “Unspecified Error” mean? Come on! Really! How difficult can it be to provided decent error messages. Anyway, I digress.
Like any good developer, I launched Google and searched for the above error which resulted in a number of hits; The first of which was the article Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0″ for linked server “(null)” returned message “Unspecified error” (dated 11 September 2011) which was indeed related to my search however the solution was to open SSMS with Administrator rights (Hint #1). Just as I was about to close the article, I saw the following comment posted by Yves Forget at the bottom (Hint #2):
Were fixed a similar problem on Windows 2003 server by allowing read/write access to the users executing the query to the temp directory of the user running SQL Server (on Win 2003, it would look like c:\Documents and settings\SQLDBA\Temp). This is because SQL Server copies the file to that directory before opening it (probably to ensure exclusive access to the file).
Not been able to do the same on Windows Server 2008, however.
I found the comment interesting however didn’t pay much attention to it as we’re running Windows Server 2008 and the comment stated this fix worked for 2003 but not 2008.
Over the next hour or so I read countless articles, most of which suggested to run the following commands in SQL Server (which despite already being run on the server, were run again):
sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;
sp_configure 'Ad Hoc Distributed Queries', 1;
EXEC master.dbo.sp_MSset_oledb_prop N'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0', N'AllowInProcess', 1
EXEC master.dbo.sp_MSset_oledb_prop N'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0', N'DynamicParameters', 1
Some even suggested that the TEMP directory permissions (discussed in the 1st article I read) can cause problems on x86 machines however I dismissed these comments as we are running x64 (Hint #3). Besides, it works on my 64bit development machine. Fed up with playing this game, I went to lunch.
BTW, some of you are probably already thinking “Why didn’t he just use SQL Server’s Import and Export Wizard?”. Well, the wizard uses SSIS and SSIS is a 32bit application which means that the 64bit Microsoft Office 12.0 Access Database Engine OLE DB Provider (a.k.a. Microsoft ACE OLE DB 12.0 Provider) is not available in the wizard (refer to my previous post on Consuming Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel Data Sources in 64-bit Environments) That’s why I couldn’t use the wizard.
Anyway, during my break I convinced myself that the only plausible explanation as to why I was experiencing these problems was that the provider must have become corrupt and all I needed to do was reinstall it. Well, I was wrong. I still got the same unhelpful error message.
(Insert long break here)
I bet you’ve already guessed what the problem was. Yep, it was a permissions problem.
During a tidy-up of the accounts on the development server, I had changed the SQL Server service to use a local account instead of my domain account (Yes I know). This meant that when I executed the OPENROWSET statement in SSMS, it was executing under the context of my domain account which did not have write access to the TEMP directory of the SQL Server service account (BTW, the instance of SQL Server on my development machine was still running under my domain account. That’s why it didn’t fail there i.e. The service account and the account SSMS was launched under were the same therefore the required permissions were already in place).
I understand why SQL Server needs to use a temporary directory however I don’t understand why there’s a requirement to set permissions on the SQL Server service accounts TEMP directory manually. Surely there’s a better way to handle this requirement/limitation (and surely there’s a better error message other than “Unspecified Error”!)
-Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses (or get smacked in the face with a cricket bat!)