You might be hearing people talking much about cloud computing these days . You might be wondering what is Cloud
& Cloud Computing. In this blog post I just wanted to give overview of Cloud & Cloud Computing and continue to write series of blog posts related to Cloud Space.
In technical terms, A Cloud is a infrastructure providing network, compute, and storage capabilities. This is Managed infrastructure.
Cloud computing can be categorized as
1. SAAS Software As A Service
This is used for running applications on the public cloud. Cloud applications accessed to the users via internet.
For example : SalesForce.com , Google (Gmail, Google Site, Google Docs). Microsoft (Dynamics CRM Online, Exchange Online, Office Web apps, Sharepoint online) ,IBM – Lotus Live , ORACLE (Fusion CRM)
2. PASS Platform As A Service
This is platform for Developers to host their application code
This is Virtually Infinite computing resurces where Load balancing is done automatically
ex:Force.com, Microsoft Azure, Google App Engine (GAE), Amazon Web Services (AWS), IBM Virtual Images. .
3. IASS Infrastructure As A Service
ex: Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), Rack space, Right Scale, VM Ware, IBM BlueHouse, Hexa Grid.
- Faster Deployment since no local installation is required , Simple clean fast and cheap
- Usage based Pricing – Pay for what you use( pay per user per month)
- Less Financial risk : With lower up-front cost and try before you buy options
- Reduced need for on-premises resources : IT Staff and servers can be reduced
- Easier upgrades – with no on-premised software to update
- Trusting provider for availability and data security . critical stuff need to be trusted
- can raise legal / regulatory concerns with storing data outside customer premises
- Can limit customization : If customers share a multi –tenet application
- Can be harder to integrate with on-premise applications
- Can have lower performance than on-premises applications
In case of the Public cloud applications, storage, and all resources are made available to the public by a service provider. These services are free or offered on a pay-per-use model. In this case we have less manageability
Private cloud is cloud infrastructure that is operated for a single organization, hosted internally or externally
This will share infrastructure between several organizations from a specific community . This community may have common concerns like security, compliance etc. It can be managed internally or by a third-party . It can be
hosted internally or externally.
This is composition of two or more clouds public or private that can take advantage of the public or private or community clouds