This post is inspired by a question in MSDN forum about disabling certain rendering formats when setting up SSRS subscriptions. This can be achieved by changing the SSRS configuration file as explained below.
I never had a real-world scenario where I needed to disable/hide a rendering extension. However, the above question inspired me to explore the SSRS configuration settings and I could find that the following steps can disable/hide rendering extensions.
Step 1: Looking at the available rendering/export formats
I went to my SSRS 2008 R2 instance and ran a sample report to view the available export format and found the following.
From the available export options, I decided to remove “Word” format for the purpose of this experiment.
Step 2: Changing the configuration file
The rendering extensions are managed/configured through the configuration file named “RSReportServer.config” located in the “ReportServer” folder. On my laptop this file is located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer
Locate the node named render. On my configuration file, it looked like the following.
<extension type="Microsoft....dering" name="XML" />
<extension type="Microsoft...ring" name="NULL" visible="false" />
<extension type="Microsoft....ng" name="CSV" />
<extension type="Microsoft...endering" name="ATOM" visible="false" />
<extension type="Microsoft....dering" name="PDF" />
<extension type="Microsoft...endering" name="RGDI" visible="false" />
<extension type="Micros...ervices.HtmlRendering" name="HTML4.0" visible="false" />
<extension type="Microsof...ices.HtmlRendering" name="MHTML" />
<extension type="Microsof...lRendering" name="EXCEL" />
<extension type="Microsoft....ing" name="RPL" visible="false" />
<extension type="Microsof...eRendering" name="IMAGE" />
<extension type="Microsoft....WordRendering" name="WORD" />
I added an attribute Visible=”false” to the entry representing “Microsoft word” (Last element in the above example). After the above change is made, I went back to my sample report and found that the entry “Word” has been removed from the export format list in report viewer page/control.
I then went to verify that this option has been removed from the report subscription setup pages. To my surprise, I could still see “Word” appear as an option there.
After reviewing all the configuration settings several times, I realized that a restart of the reporting service is required to have the changes take effect in the subscription setup page. I restarted reporting service and after reboot, I could see that the render format “Word” has been removed.
Be careful when playing with the report server configuration file. Always test your changes in the QA/Dev environment before trying on the production environment.