Facebook Sign in | Join
Pushing database changes needn't be hard work with SQL Compare
Getting Started with Adobe After Effects - Part 6: Motion Blur
First Time? You can support us by signing up. It takes only 5 seconds. Click here to sign up. If you already have an account, click here to login.

TSQL Challenge 14 – Results of Basic Testing

As many of you have already mentioned, it is a bit frustrating that it takes us almost 8-10 weeks to publish the results of a challenge. We are working very hard on this and you will see a significant improvement in the speed of the evaluation process from now onwards. We are just done with the basic testing of TSQL Challenge 14 and there are unpleasant results.

Results

We received a total of 128 submissions for this challenge, and unfortunately, 41 of them were disqualified because they did not follow the submission guide lines. The rejections fall into the categories given below.

1. Using temp tables
  2. Using table variables
  3. Using local variables
  4. Using WHILE Loops
  5. Using Cursors
  6. Using UDFs

We completed the Basic Testing phase on the remaining 87 solutions using the data given here. 25 solutions failed the basic testing due to the following reasons.

1. Incorrect output data
  2. Incorrect number of output columns
  3. Incorrect order of output columns

Note that the evaluation is done by an automated script which will reject a submission if the columns (order and number of columns) do not follow the output structure given in the challenge description.

Resubmit your solutions

If your solution is disqualified due to one of the reasons given above, you don’t need to worry. You can resubmit your solution and after the evaluation is completed, we will review your submission and if it passes the tests will insert it at the right grade in the final results. TSQL Challenges do not close any more and you can always submit a better solution.

Questions

We are in the process of setting up the new website (http://databasechallenges.com/SQLServer/TSQL) with the right structure and would like to hear your ideas on the following:

1. With TSQL challenge 13, we made all the solutions publicly available (even the solutions that failed the tests - http://databasechallenges.com/SQLServer/TSQL/Challenge13/Submissions) Do you think it is a good idea? In TSQL Challenge 14, we only mentioned the number of submissions we received, we did not publish all the solutions we received. Is that a better option?
  2. Do you like to see the list of solutions that passes each evaluation phase? (see an example here: http://databasechallenges.com/SQLServer/TSQL/Challenge13/logic_testing_results) Or is it advisable to publish only the count of solutions that passes the given test?
  3. Any other suggestion you have, to make the evaluation process better and the challenges and their solutions re-usable?

Thanks for your continuous interest in TSQL Challenges

Jacob

Comments

# re: TSQL Challenge 14 – Results of Basic Testing

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:21 AM by karinloos

I very much liked the structure of the TSQL 13 evaluations.  So to answer the questions

1. Yes I think its a good idea to publish all submissions.

2. Yes I would like to see the list that passes each evalution phase. Its easy to keep track of your own solution this way.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:26 AM by Jacob Sebastian

The only question I have is, what happens if your solution fails? do you like to see it marked as 'failed' and do you like other people to see that your solution failed? Do you think this will ever be embarrassing for some people?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:28 AM by Kevan Riley

How do we know if our submission was a success or fail?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:33 AM by Jacob Sebastian

We are setting up a process that sends an email with the status of the submissions. If the submission fails, it will also include the reason for failure. You can expect it starting from challenge 14.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:33 AM by Kerdon

In my opinion, the more information I can get the better for me. If it is acceptable for you and doesn't add too much "manual interference", I'd like to see for my solution and also for other solutions as much details as possible. This is to help me understand and learn quicker, which is also main point of these challenges for me personally. I don't think anything should be taken as embarrassment here. Some people just give what they can put together in 10 minutes during work, some are just plain noobs in T-SQL ( -> points at self). And even if you take it more seriously and as a little prestige, it's only human to make mistakes, and not learning from them is the real mistake here. So, learning from mistakes of more people just saves us all time :) .

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:36 AM by Kevan Riley

Also should I be able to log into the new website with my BeyondRelational credentials?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:37 AM by Kevan Riley

OK you have obviously got through basic testing, when will the email be sent?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:09 AM by karinloos

I personally dont have a problem if my solution is marked as a fail if it fails. I just want to know why it failed so I can learn from my mistakes.

However my suggestion is to focus on the positive :) ie not look at the fails, but merely follow the passes. ie if something didnt pass, then by default it failed

By only publishing submissions that passed for the different evaluation phases, its apparent at what point a submission failed if ur solution is no longer in the list.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:24 AM by Jacob Sebastian

@Kerdon,

I agree with you and that is the reason why we putblished all the solutions of challenge 13. However, we thought of opening up this issue to the community and see what everyone thinks.

Thank you for your inputs.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:26 AM by Jacob Sebastian

@kevriley,

Unfortunately you wont be able to login to the website using the same credentials. We understand it is a pain, but the new platform seems to be ideal for the type of challenges we do.

about the emails:, we are going through the 'first-time-glitches'. I think the first batch of emails will go out tomorrow. There after, it will go as we move ahead with the evaluation process.

regards

Jacob

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:09 PM by reganwick

I noticed that my (2) and (3) submissions show the same code - which the (3) code. I looked at some other people who had multiple submissions that passed logic testing and it looked to be the same. Is this just a problem of what was posted to the new site?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:12 PM by Jacob Sebastian

@reganwick,

If you did 3 submissions, and if all the three were different there could be an issue with the upload on your side, or a processing issue on our side due to the multiple submissions. In either case, we can easily correct it. I would request you to send me an email with all the 3 solutions and I will once again compare it with what we have and what is uploaded and can correct it.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:20 AM by Parth Patel

Hi Jacob,

I have found solution gallery very awkward as it doesn't allow user to download his own solution. This is really frustrating for user who want to verify the uploaded file. In fact, I have faced it when I came to know later that I had uploaded wrong file (and thus wrong solution) for tsql beginner challenge #1!!!!

Well, I hope this won't be a problem with new website.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:27 AM by Jacob Sebastian

Hi Parth,

The problem is with the security settings of community server. I could not figure out how to allow the user to download own solutions (and not to download other's solutions). If anyone knows, please let me know.

I understand it is frustrating. We are working on improving the entire framework.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:49 PM by lsql

Hi Jacob,

My solution for challenge 14 was showing an additional column (SortKey) and did not pass the Basic Testing, there is any way I can upload it again.

When I submitted my solution I was not aware of the automated process and didn't imagine the extra column will invalidate the solution.

Thanks,

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:22 PM by Jacob Sebastian

@Lsql,

you can submit a new solution and we will process them and merge the results with other solutions.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:24 PM by reganwick

FYI, I got this when going to your new site.

Verizon Internet Security Warning:

Suspected Fraudulent Web Site Detected

You are attempting to connect to a reported fraudulent web site

URL: databasechallenges.com/.../Chall...

Do not submit personal information to this web site. We recommend that you delete any emails associated with this URL.

Friday, December 18, 2009 12:48 AM by Jacob Sebastian

@reganwick,

I have no idea why this is coming up. We would appreciate any help by anyone on this.

regards

Jacob

Friday, December 18, 2009 11:50 AM by bseefelt

I don't like the idea of publishing all solutions.  I think only the successful solutions should be published.

Copyright © Rivera Informatic Private Ltd.